Saturday, January 9, 2016

RMODB: The First Weekend

Day One: A Valiant Effort

There comes a time in a woman's life when she makes plans for a day off. And then in the process of enacting those plans, the movie she loves to listen to in the background and will always turn on if it's on television ends and a series she's heard a lot about but not yet watched will start from the beginning.

Yup. Friday, as I was doing some routine cleaning, I threw on You've Got Mail because it's adorbs and set to cleaning the living room. And then it went off, and Younger started from the first episode. I adore Sutton Foster and (while I have misgivings about the whole "deception" thing) thought the show was completely adorable. I tried doing other things...but eventually I got deep enough into the house that I could no longer hear the television. And that just wouldn't do.

So obviously, I just spent the rest of the afternoon watching television and reading These Vicious Masks during the commercials. (That book is awesome, by the way. Everyone should read it when it comes out next month.)

Day Two: Making the First Step

I woke up Saturday morning to two goals:

1. Finish These Vicious Masks. And it was awesome. (Seriously, where else can you get Victorian X-Men?)

2. Organize the To-Read Corner.

I'm not going to torment you with pictures of what this corner used to look like. But after going through a few boxes that shouldn't have been there, a little bit of weeding, and then a lot of shifting, I managed to make it palatable for myself and anyone else who might end up in the house.


Yes. This is my To-Read Corner, minus about 20-25 I have on the bottom level of my coffee table in the "read these next" position. I will die before I read all of these, even if I don't buy any more. Did I mention I have an iPad? With three reading apps? And a problem with compulsive buying? Yeah. It's a nice goal, but I doubt I'll ever get that anywhere close to clear. That box down in the bottom right is the collection of first edition Sabatinis I bought at a used book store for 50 bucks. They haven't left that box. I need another bookshelf before I can make that happen. And there are too many weird walls in my house :(

There are a few things that will help contribute to my chances of making a visible dent in this corner, including #readmyowndamnbooks and the Read Harder challenge, among others. 

I can do this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment